The Renal Network is contracted by the Centers for Medicare/Medicaid Services (CMS) as an End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Network and authorized under the Social Security Act to receive, investigate, and process grievances related to the quality and safety of care received by patients in Medicare-certified dialysis or transplant facilities in the state of Illinois. Grievances are reviewed in accordance with the Conditions for Coverage (CfC).
How to File a Grievance
Download the Grievance Packet which includes all of the forms and a handout of the TRN grievance process.
A grievance may be filed with the Network by phone, fax, or postal mail. EMAIL IS NOT A SAFE OPTION AND IS DISCOURAGED. To submit a grievance by mail or fax, complete and submit a Grievance Form.
Patients wishing to be represented by a family member or other individual, must submit a CMS Appointment of Representative Form.
In filing a grievance, a patient may remain anonymous to the facility. The Network will not release a patient’s name to the facility without the patient’s permission. However, anonymous grievances allow the Network to do only a general investigation. Patients will be asked to indicate their preference to disclose or not to disclose their name by completing a Consent to Disclose Your Identity form.
Patient Developed Tool
See this helpful tool on the Forum of ESRD Networks website for more information on filing a grievance.
What is the Network Role?
The Renal Network Patient Services Department handles questions related to the quality and safety of care received by patients and any questions regarding grievances process. The Renal Network’s role in resolving grievances, depending upon the situation, is to act as:
- Referral Agent
To contact Patient Services:
- Call: 317-257-8265 or 800-456-6919 (toll-free patient line).
- Email: [email protected]
- Mail: Questions or completed Grievance Form, Consent to Disclose Your Identity and if appropriate a CMS Appointment of Representative Form to The Renal Network, 911 E. 86th Street, Suite 202, Indianapolis, IN 46240, Attention: Patient Services Department.
When the Network is contacted regarding a concern, it will attempt to resolve the issue in one of the following ways:
- Assist patients who wish to address the issue on his/her own by helping to organize his/her thoughts about a situation and by providing information regarding their rights and responsibilities;
- With permission from the patient, the Network may contact the facility directly to gather information and attempt to resolve the matter;
- The facility may be required to complete an Improvement Plan to correct problems;
- More serious issues may be referred to the Network’s Medical Review Board (MRB) for review;
- Life-threatening situations will be referred to the appropriate State Survey Agency for immediate action.
- If the grievance involves a concern that falls under another agency’s or organization’s authority, the Network will refer the grievance in accordance with CMS established Guidelines.