The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has asked that we make sure you have information on the Medicare-approved discount
drug cards and information about new Medicare program demonstrations that expand benefits available to Medicare beneficiaries. Following is background
material and things you can do to make sure your patients are enrolled in programs that may help pay for their prescription drug costs.
Medicare-approved drug cards
Using a Medicare-approved drug discount card helps beneficiaries save both on covered brand-name and also generic drugs. If they have a lower income,
they could save more money by receiving up to a $1,200 credit from Medicare to help pay for their prescription drug costs. You can help by:
- Posting the flier at http://cms.hhs.gov/partnerships/news/autoenroll/flier.pdf
to remind your patients about the Medicare-Approved Discount Drug cards and the extra savings.
- Having available copies of easy to read brochures about the drug card that help them understand this important benefit.
A copy of Call! Enroll! Save! can be viewed at http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/11081/pdf
Up to 25 additional copies of the brochure can be obtained from 1-800-MEDICARE. If you want more than 25 copies of the brochure, contact CMS at 410-786-7849.
- Directing beneficiaries with specific questions to 1-800-MEDICARE or their local SHIP.
Please note that beneficiaries are not restricted to certain cards just because they have ESRD.
The Medicare Replacement Drug Demonstration allows beneficiaries with Secondary Hyperparathyroidism, Pulmonary Hypertension, and Hepatitis C and
certain other life threatening diseases to obtain drugs they can take themselves at home � instead of the drugs currently covered but only when received in a doctor�s office. You can help by:
- Having a supply of brochures describing the demonstration for patients to read. View it at http://www.cms.hhs.gov/researchers/demos/MRDD_pamphlet10404.pdf
(Spanish version of brochure at: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/researchers/demos/MRDD_pa1.pdf.) Order copies of the brochure, or applications for the demonstration, from TrailBlazers at 1-866-563-5386.
- Beneficiaries with questions about the demonstration should be referred to the same telephone number.